Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Landis Arboretum

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

It had to be 82-83 degrees today, some kind of record for April 7th....
So a good day for a ride to see trees.

The Landis Arboretum is a 548 acre private estate in Esperance NY, about 45 minutes southwest of Niskayuna off route 7.  Its a living-breathing tree museum.  For $5, you get to wander from dawn till dusk.....
Seriously, we chose a short loop (the Landis Trail), afterall we are still recuperating from our winter hibernation state.  Carol was quite patient with my huffing and puffing up the first hill....Check out their website:  http://www.landisarboretum.org/

Its the second weekend car ride we've taken in this direction this spring.  I'll fill in the details of the first jaunt in another blog.

I took the new camera - so you get to see some visuals....

This beauty of a tree is a European Hornbeam--really! 
Its from the birch family.  Its branches reach out every
which way and it has a looong reach....

These trees were not marked that I saw. 
But the blossom looks familiar. 
I am guessing its a magnolia. Can anybody enlighten me?












These pretty little flowers were blooming
wild in a terrace garden they are building. 
They were under the shade of some very
big eastern pines.



But to get back to trees, I am just in awe of the blossoms trees can produce.




We were too early for the Lilacs, Rhododendrons and Crabapples.
So I guess we'll just have to go back...Next time, I wear my muck boots though - I got my new sneakers dirty....

1 comment:

  1. those are some fantastic pictures! It makes me hate my camera even more....I think that is what i will ask for my birthday from my hubby!

    ReplyDelete